Happy Australia Day!
Great news to share on a day of national pride.
On behalf of the QSIA Board and members we are grateful for the public service and dedication to this industry from QISA Life Member, Denis O’Connell and of course for being awarded an OAM.
His contribution to the Gold Coast community and the Queensland seafood industry have been duly recognised.
Mr Denis James O’Connell
OAM – For service to the community of the Gold Coast
1. Gold Coast City Council:
- Member, Gold Coast Water Futures Advisory Committee, 2004-2006.
- Member, Gold Coast Harbour Board, 1997-1999.
- Member, Gold Coast Waterways Authority, 1979-1985.
- Chairman, Health and Town Planning Committee, 1979-1982.
- Mayor, 1982-1985
- Alderman, 1970-1973.
2. Founding Trustee, Gold Coast and Hinterland Historical Society, since 1972.
3. Patron, (then) Gold Coast and Albert Soccer Federation, 1980s.
4. Queensland Seafood Industry Association:
- State Councillor, 1990s.
- State Representative, 1990s.
- State Chairman, 1978-1979.
- Life Member, 2010.
5. Past Chairman, Gold Cost Catchment Association.
6. Past Member, Great Barrier Reef Advisory Sub-Committee.
7. Employee, Queensland Government, 17 years.
8. Honorary Member, Paradise Point Bowls Club.
9. Life Member, Runaway Bay Junior Rugby League Club.
10. Recipient, Australian Defence Medal.
11. Assisted with establishment of Southport Flying Club and Arundel Park Riding for the Disabled.
12. Trustee, Gold Coast and Hinterland Historical Society.
13. Past Patron of a range of community organisations.
14. Commissioner for Declarations in Queensland, since 2015.
15. Justice of the Peace in Queensland, 1970-2015.
Author: Eric Perez, CEO, QSIA
Image: Denis and Lorraine O’Connell, Queensland Seafood Industry Association.
The content of this post is provided for information purposes only and unless otherwise stated is not formal QSIA policy. The information on these posts are provided on the basis that all persons accessing the information undertake their own responsibility for assessing the relevance and accuracy of it.